Trail marked with number 712
Length: 13,5 km
Altitude: 563 m
Highest point: 476 m
Lowest point: 255 m
Duration: 3:30 h
The hiking trail Po Pazinskih bregi (Across the Pazin hills) leads from Pazin to Gortanov brijeg and continue towards to the north - through the hillls that encircle the Pazin ravine, and then returns to Pazin through the hamlets of Bani and Dušani. Combined with the Pazin - Beram – Pazin trail, the route can be made shorter or longer.
The journey begins from Pazin Tourist board office, where you can get all the necessary information materials about the trail and then we are passing by the Pazin Castle, cross the Vršić bridge above the hatch of the Pazin abyss and passing by the former Pazinka factory complex. After that, we are taking the road and started to climbing up to the Gortan hill, after which the path turns left towards Beram (also marked with hiking markings and signs bearing number 611), but we proceed straight on. Both directions of the path meet again at the Findrle hill, which is 3 km away from us, and a bit more than 5km away from those that are going to visit Beram. Another 3 km from here is the Dibovljak, a viewpoint from where you can have a panoramic view of the Butoniga lake area and where the path intersects with a section of the Pazin climbing route. After Dibovljak, the path slowly descends towards the hamlet of Bani, and after passing the hamlet Dušani, we are coming to the asphalt road Pazin - Kršikla. This road can also take us to Pazin if we turn right, but 50 m upon reaching the asphalt, it is better to take the right turning onto the gravel road. This road will take us through the valley of the Pazinčica river and through the Loke area, along a shelter for abandoned animals in Rijavac, where we turn left heading to Pazin.
The monastery of St. Micheal was mentioned on this hill in 1177. In the 14th century it was already deserted and given to the local noblemen. The Istrian Book of Boundaries states that the deconsecrated monastery served as a refuge to Drmitor, the bishop of Pićan, during the fruitless years in Pićan, which is why it is possible that this particular monastery was the one where Dante Alighieri stayed during his visit to Istria. The view of the Pazin cave spreading from the Gortan hill is identical to the Dante’ description of entering Hell: a gentle valley through which flows a rivulet that reaches a vertical rock where it sinks to the ground. In the 15th century the hill was named the Kršan hill, after its owner Andrija Kršanski, who was the Captain of Pazin and Trieste. In the first half of the 17th century it was inhabited by their heirs, the nobles Tolzay, who did a fundamental reconstruction of the chapel. They were succeeded by the families Cavalieri, Calligarich, Weissenhaus and finally Camus, who possessed the estate until 1945. Today, the biggest part of this historical and agricultural complex is used by AZRRI (Agency for Rural Development of Istria). AZRRI created the Education and Gastronomic centre of Istria in one part of the complex, while an agricultural complex was added north of the present-day settlement, where a basic herd of the Istrian ox boškarin, on whose protection AZRRI has been working for years, is going to be accommodated.
The trail mostly passes through deciduous and coniferous forest, most of the way is unpaved and wide. There are several beautiful views to the town of Pazin, the settlements of Trviž, Beram, Lindar, Zarečje and Učka. During the lush vegetation, the area towards Lake Butoniga is harder to see. Mountain trail signs (red-white marks) make it easier to follow the trail.