Boljun is an ancient town in the northeast of Istria, in the Lupoglav Municipality. It was built around the well-preserved medieval castle. The town has a wide view of the Boljunčica Valley and the Učka mountain range. From the 15th to the end of the 17th century this not a town, not a village place reached the peak of its development. There was a judge and town mayors, numerous altars were taken care of by fraternities, glagolithic script was used and taught. Since then, Boljun has lost its importance and life has almost stopped. However, the town has not collapsed but surprises every tourist with pleasant prospects. Guests thirsty for rest can find everything they need in Boljun: comfortable accommodation, intact nature, peace and, of course, unique local specialities in the local konoba (tavern).
Boljun, just like some of the more famous Istrian towns, was then one of the centers of Glagolitic literacy, as evidenced by the original Glagolitic inscriptions engraved in the stone that we can see if we go through the place, as well as numerous documents preserved in the archives: motherboards, annual reports business fraternity, misalign, breviaries and others...
1 - Church of St. Cosmas and Damian
2 - The votive altar of Gaius Valerius Priscus
3 - The Castle of Boljun
4 - Loggia
5 - The Parish Church of St. George
6 - Glagolithic and Latin inscription
7 - Mašinarija
8 - The house Pataj
9 - Calvary
10 - Source of water: Studenac and Perila
11 - The ruins of the church of Sv. Peter
12 - Church of St. Fabian and Sebastian
13 - Rustic dwellings of medieval architecture
14 - Houses in Boljun - rural architecture
Church of St. Cosmas and Damian (1) dates back to the 12th century, as does the Church of St. Fabian and Sebastian (12) located along the road climbing from the valley to Boljun. It can be found at the entrance into the place, beside the former main gate (destroyed after World War I to allow large vehicles entry). A Glagolithic inscription dated 1543 was built next to the wall of the sacristy. Latin inscriptions (1698 above the entrance, 1705 on the triumphal arch) give evidence of later restorations of the church.
The votive altar of Gaius Valerius Priscus (2), a fabric merchant from Aquileia, is dedicated to an unknown deity and dates back to the Roman period. It was found in the vicinity of Boljun and was placed in today's position during the period of Italian government (1921 – 1943) to be used as flag post. Next to it there is the župan's (mayor) table, a reminder of the times when Boljun had its own town government.
The Castle of Boljun (3) was built and later extended between the 11th and 17th centuries. In times of war it was a safe haven for the inhabitants of Boljun and the surrounding area (in 1332, 1612 and so on). Until recently there was a pond in the centre of its courtyard, but it was filled in and today is used for performances. Next to the northern corner of the Castle there is the small gate.
The Parish Church of St. George (5) features a Late Gothic polygonal sanctuary. Numerous original Glagolithic inscriptions can be found in the church interior. The Latin inscription on the bell tower (1645) leads to the conclusion that the bell tower of Boljun is one of the oldest in Istria. The unusual stone "pine cones" scattered on the wall surrounding the church and the relief-finished pavement kerbs were most probably taken from an older building. Glagolithic and Latin inscription (6) dated 1641 by the last Boljun parish priest – glagolithic writer can be seen on the back external wall.